Sunday, August 9, 2015

A vintage Lambskin Rug +++



I've been so busy this summer that I haven't had time for my poor neglected blog, but things are finally slowing down. And, I just had to show you something fun...

I was riding along in the semi with the 'Man-Child' on Friday morning and we passed a little antique shop in a small town with a flashing "Open" sign. Of course at this point I'm begging him to go around the block because there was enough room to park next to it and, I spied what looked like a dead sheep laying on a couch by the entrance door. I mean, doesn't a dead sheep catch every blonde's attention?

As I climbed out of the Kenworth and headed toward the front door, my suspicions were confirmed...
It was indeed a lamb skin rug. But, I was so confused why it was laying out in the rain and sun?

Well, the nasty thing had grease marks all over it and some little kid had spilled a red soda on it, so the owner just chucked it out the door onto an old couch. Really... I was so excited although the 'Man-Child' probably, at that moment, thought I had completely lost my mind.

It is HEAVY~!
It is a vintage, 4 pelt lambskin rug and now it is beautiful and currently in my bathroom on the floor, so Mooch (My Great Pyrenees) can lick it and love it all night.
(=

It really wasn't hard to clean. I used some spray and wash on the grease and I was really careful not to saturate it so much that it touched the leather back. A bit of baby shampoo on the soda stain and then a bit of baby shampoo on the grease and spray and wash... A ton of scrubbing softly and gently and then taking it outside and beating it well and brushing the wool with a dog brush and wool paddle and walla~!
Beatuiful, thick, vintage, lambskin rug...



And, it only cost me $40~~~
It's ok if Mooch licks it for 2, twenty dollar bills... 

And, I promise it's not Charlie...
*it's really a rug, not my alpaca*

Charlie is currently outside lazing by the water trough dreaming...


But you know what???
I found something else at that antique shop too - - -

Laying over a box of junk, out of the way, looking like a dead animal was a nice piece of fur...
The lady that owns the store said she thought it was faux and needed a lot of repairs. I told her I didn't think it was faux fur, who would felt the back of faux fur. She didn't care and sold it to me for $10...

I laid it out on the kitchen floor today about noon and mended all the holes. It has 3 large furry buttons on it that look to be made of bone and covered with fur. The back of the buttons have a pressed wood circle that says, "London England" - 
The fur is made up of a bunch of little pelts sewn together and I have no idea what kind of animal these came from. They are definitely not fake. I done a hair test and pulled a piece of fur out and lit it on fire. It smelled just like burning hair, not plastic.

Anyway - it appeared to have once been a cape, or some kind of coat. It was tattered and a mess.
After I got it all pieced together, I trimmed it to the size of my couch seats and sewed a really pretty piece of vintage material to the back - I pieced it all together with a some stitching and made what looks like a buggy blanket for the couch for this winter.


It turned out to be a lovely save for a piece of really old fur...

I hope everyone is having a great summer~!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments...
I love to hear from you~!
=)