Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Pickled Cauliflower ~ Home Canning Recipe~!

Here's a great 'Home Canning' recipe to bottle some of the great priced, Autumn veggies for the winter.

This is the same recipe as my "Pickled Carrot Recipe", but they all taste different depending upon the veggies you pickle....




Pickled Cauliflower Recipe: 
(Approx. 7 Pints)

Approx. 2 to 3 Large heads of Cauliflower (cut up for bottling)
1/2 tsp. Celery Seed (per jar)
1/2 tsp. Mustard Seed (per jar)
1/2 tsp. Dill Seed (per jar)
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (per jar)
Slices of Celery (optional - use what you would like, per jar)
Sliced Carrots (optional - use what you would like, per jar)
7 small Pickling Onions (one per jar)
7 Cloves of Garlic (one per jar)
5 C. White Vinegar
5 C. Water
1/2 C. Pickling Salt

Sterilize & prepare your jars, rings & lids for canning~
Put spices in each jar...
Add one pickling onion and one clove of garlic to each jar.
I put a couple of carrot slices and a few small pieces of celery and then fill the jars with cauliflower, leaving a bit of room on top to add another thin carrot slice and a thin slice of celery to the top. 
Leave about 1/2" headspace on top -

Bring your water, vinegar and salt to a boil -

Ladle hot brine over veggies. Run a non-metallic utensil down the inside to get the air bubbles out. Wipe your jar rims, put on your lids and rings and I process for the time specified on a canning altitude chart. 

You can find your proper time for your altitude at the National Center for Home Food Preservation Webpage



I used 6, 2 lb. heads of Cauliflower & it bottled 25 pint jars of pickles



I let them sit and brine for at least 6 weeks before I open a jar to eat. 
The longer they sit in the brine, the better they get~!


I love this time of the year, when there is an abundance of produce...


Me & a friend both ordered a Bountiful Basket and she got the add on 25# of cauliflower for $14 and we split it, to both do some pickled cauliflower.



Enjoy your pickles~!

7 comments:

  1. Jen, this sounds so yummy! I want to try canning some. I made my mothers mustard pickles a couple years ago. I love the little pearl onions in them! hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are yummy!
      I can eat a whole jar myself ~ lol
      (=

      Delete
  2. Jen, you have such a beautiful, creative page and recipe so why not for first timers like myself include the canning altitude chart to complete it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe! I really want to make pickled cauliflower again, it's been a while! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying your recipe today . I couldn't tell if you water bathed or pressure canned, but I ended up water bathing. Is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Table 1. Recommended process time for Pickled Cauliflower or Brussels Sprouts in a boiling-water canner.
      Process Time at Altitudes of
      Style of Pack Jar Size 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft
      Hot Half-pints or Pints 10 min 15 20

      This document was adapted from the "Complete Guide to Home Canning," Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 539, USDA, revised 2015.

      Reviewed February 2018.

      Delete
  5. Hey Jen we like a sweet and spice brine. Would 3 cups of sugar do the trick??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...
I love to hear from you~!
=)