Monday, January 13, 2014

DIY Paper Rosette Wreath ~ Paper Roses...


I have seen a few "Paper Rose Wreaths" lately...

And, they are gorgeous~!


There is something about the color and patina of old paper that is PERFECT...


 The perfect DIY project...

And, old book paper is cheap to craft with too~!


But, don't let this DIY tutorial fool you...

It 'is not' quick! 

Although, it is easy...


It took me 644 book pages to make the wreath and another 2 chapters of an additional book to make the rosette flowers in the old enamelware coffee pot...

In reality, by the time I was finished...

I wanted to scream~~~!

If you have the "Attention span of a squirrel..."
This is probably NOT a project for you~
(=


Why would I do it? 
Because I can...

How did I do it?

Click "Read More" for the full tutorial~!



To make these beautiful, book page roses, I looked around the blogosphere. I checked out youtube. I exhausted my resources, before I just did it. "Jen Style" ~ as usual. 

I wanted a beautiful rose, but quite honestly, I didn't want to sit at the counter cutting out circles and spirals and using tweezers etc. to make a million 'paper roses' to fill in a small wreath form like most of the tutorials out there.

I wanted something I could do with little waste and without any tweezers, or tools. I just don't have that kind of patience...

So, I found me a couple of 'old' book titles at the thrift store for $2 a piece and started goofing around...
The book on the bottom had thin, vintage paper. The book on top, "The Mammoth Hunter," it had thicker, vintage paper and I really liked the thicker paper. It made more 'sturdy,' and larger, paper roses...

*It's hard to believe something called, "The Mammoth Hunter" could be re-purposed into something so pretty~!*


I started by tearing out pages. 
No cutting, no waste...


I folded the pages in 'thirds' horizontally (long ways...)


Then, I folded them in half again...



I glued 4, to 6 pages together on the ends to make one large strip for the large roses... 

And, I ripped pages in half and folded the same way, to make smaller roses...


To make the roses, I would bend the corner over on the top, so I had something to hold onto ~ 
Much like the key on a can of corned beef...


I would hold onto that little bent tab (my key) and twist my paper roses, coiling them up... 



When each coiled rose was complete, I would place a spot of glue on the end and glue it to itself. Then, I would turn the paper rose over and put an "X" with hot glue on the back, to hold the coils in place...

I used a 12" (interior diameter / 14" exterior diameter), white, styrofoam wreath to glue my paper roses onto.


Working my way up both sides evenly, to keep it proportionate on both sides...



This WAS NOT a quick project~!

But, it is an easy project, if you have some patience ~~ 




There is no sense fooling you and pretending otherwise...  




It took me 3 evenings working on it just to fill in the wreath and, a bag of glue gun glue to complete.

I recommend using a 'LOW TEMP' glue gun, or your hands are going to be burned...

When I got close to the end, I glued a piece of ribbon to the wreath... 



To use to hang the wreath when it's complete...



It took 644 pages to finish the wreath and 10 more pages to complete the back...



I HATE when projects are only done on one side...

This is what the wreath looks like from the back, when the front is complete.


It drives me crazy when things are only 'half way' done, or only one side gets finished... 

In fact, I won't buy stuff at a 'craft fair,' or 'boutique,' unless it's finished on both sides.

It's just a 'pet peeve' of mine. 
I like complete, not 1/2 done...

Unless, the item is marked 1/2 off and only 1 side is finished. Then, I'll consider the purchase and take the item home and finish it myself... 

Strange, I know ~ 
It's just how I roll...

So, I finished the back of this 'paper rose wreath' with; Mod Podge & torn paper.



My original intent was to make 2 of these wreaths for my entry way windows for Valentines Day.




I'm not sure I'll muster the stamina to complete the 2nd one. 

They are really that time consuming to make...




But, I do love how they turned out~!



Linking up At:








15 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!!! I am not sure if I would have the patience to do this project, but it really is "special". Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really turned out pretty. A good project to do while a football game is on! heehee! Thanks for sharing my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty but I would never have the patience to do that!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful indeed! I know the feeling - I did a large lamp shade - yep the whole thing - with tissue roses... took forever!!! But what a reward. Love that wreath and am 'pinning' it for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful, a real labor of love and well worth the time it took to create. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can completely get how you wanted to scream by the time you were done, but it is completely cool finished! Visiting via "Tuesday Our Home" link up from over at www.ritewhileucan.com where I gush over all things related to paper and the lost art of letter writing. Lovely to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty. You are patient, but it was so worth it...very nice. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog from Lavender Dreams.
    I love the paper wreath, but I'm not sure I have that much patience
    for that big of a project! Yikes..
    I'm looking forward to dropping by again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I am a book page fiend and have made several wreaths and other projects from book pages but, this is over the top. Love it. Am pinning it and will most likely be seeing one in my future. Thanks for the great tutorial and sharing it... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really pretty! I <3 your wreath:) Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so pretty! I like the individual flowers in the bucket, too. Your display is fantastic against thst shabby wall. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Worth all the time and effort. Love, love, LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe it would have been easier to wrap the wreath form in strips of paper before gluing the roses on .Thank -you will be pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful!!!! I am not sure if I would have the patience to do this project, but it really is "special". Love it! :)
    floral standard pillowcases
    pillow cases floral standard size
    vintage pillow covers 18x18
    accent pillow case for bed

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...
I love to hear from you~!
=)