Monday, April 28, 2014

Modern for comfort, but vintage for a timeless style...

Have I ever told you how fun it is to live in and redo an old house?

Especially with the 'plethora' of new and old things I own to choose from...



Of course, if I get stuck on something and need some help with a decor idea, or figuring out a way to balance something I love to click over to One Kings Lane's recently launched Resource Guide for some new ideas. And, to keep my decor fresh, but in a vintage and old way, so it will still match 'My style'.

~I also love their Vintage Section - It makes my heart skip...~

Of course we use new & modern items for their functionality in this home. And, where this is such an old house being redone with modern convenience, vintage and modern seem to mix together seamlessly in every room. 

This home feels like it was pieced together with no interest in age, or date of any furnishing, or decoration, yet it works together...

Seriously, nobody needs to know it has taken me months and months, even years to find all this stuff to throw together for this old place right?


Be 'free of spirit' when you're decorating and do what YOU LIKE. Don't let the newest fad, or newest repeat reel you in. Be original. Be yourself. 

I do what I like and I think it's perfectly acceptable to layer a modern comforter set with vintage /antique crocheted throws...


And then add in a few Ralph Lauren type knockoff / homemade pillow cases with thrift store shams and modern, upholstered couch pillows. But, I require layers and layers of fringe'y, vintage'y, goodness to make it all work...


We even went modern with convenience, but back in  time "vintage" for our new bathroom remodel with our vintage bureau turned modern vanity... And, I decorated with a new and modern sink and faucet ~


But, all vintage decor...


Even a new bathroom remodel can be mixed with modern and vintage - Use a bit of imagination and take an old, vintage, vanity light. Hook a couple of vintage door knobs to it (that match the door knobs on the doors, of course)... Add in a few reproduction "Edison Bulbs" and you can have a whimsical, but modern, but vintage light... 

Perhaps, I have a bit of "Steam Punk" that comes out of me from time to time? 
(Who would do this with a light, but my rebellious side...?) 

See, it can all work together with some imagination and it can work in any home with a bit of thought and not fighting the look you're trying to achieve.

Although, I have no idea what any of this would get categorized under aside from "Jen Style..."~!


This is a brand new remodel this year "January 2014" but look how it has such a vintage look, but with lots of modern, of course~!


And, kitchen's are easy for modern mixed with vintage decor. Especially if you have a 'farm house kitchen' like I do in this old house. And, it helps that our farm house is on a farm too. 

It adds to all the charm~!

It's a new kitchen, with all of the modern convenience. It has just been taken back in time with the decor.


And, you know what?

It really is possible to incorporate a vintage French chandelier (yard sale find), into a modern, remodeled farm house kitchen, in an old - actually late 1800's - rock farm house. And, then decorate it all with some very modern and very vintage goodness... Crazy huh???

You just have to want to~ ~ ~!


And, keep your eyes open for the rest of the modern & vintage stuff to mix together to make it all mold to your style... 

The style of "Your Home"... 


Beauty & a sense of place & time come from mixing 
old with new...


And so does interest & personality~!

 If we didn't mix modern styles with vintage styles, how would we ever know the difference between old & new ~ modern, or vintage? 

It's about turning your home into what you like to live in. 

It's yours... 

There are NO RULES...



And, I don't think there is a right, or wrong, if you're comfortable
"In Your Home" 

And, your home reflects 'Your Style'...

1 comment:

  1. I for one definitely like a mix of modern and vintage, the best of both!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...
I love to hear from you~!
=)