Monday, March 31, 2014

Custom, Built-In, Entryway Mirrors....

One more wish for the Master Bedroom is now off the 'bucket list'...


Custom, built-in, entryway mirrors on both sides of the entryway into the master bedroom...




I apologize the pics that follow are of 'poor quality'. A lot of this was late in the evening and well, this old house is a bear cat to get pics in. And frankly, when I'm in home renovation mode, I don't stop to slow down and stage anything. I just grab the camera and away we go~!




Remember, I have 2' thick rock walls in this old rock farmhouse, so the breezeway into the bedroom had a 2' wide void. 

(Ignore the pile of curtains on the bed - it's a redo going on in here... =)

There were 2, vintage, beveled, floor length mirrors tucked out in a closet here in the old house. They were HEAVY mirrors. The real deal - not the cheap junk from Walmart. I measured and they were a perfect fit to be built in to the entry way walls...

I needed a focal piece for the tops and I had an old 70's era (?) poker table base that I had saved in a shed.



I stripped the molded pieces off with a pocket knife and used them for my re-purposed needs, because I'm a packrat...

It's crazy how much they look like carved wood, although they're molded plastic.




Seriously, if I would have had to buy some molded pieces like this for this project, they can run upwards of $65 a piece --- like this Molded Door Topper from Touch of Class ~ yikes!

The carved wood looking molding pieces worked out great as a starting piece and the poker table was free...

The Man-Child tacked one of the molded, carved wood looking pieces onto the wall and stared at it for a little while thinking...


Then, he goofed around with different pieces of moldings and different thickness' of scrap wood to get a 'draft' of the look I wanted. We had a lot of used moldings from the Demo Project we done last October and he ran to Home Depot for the remainder of what he needed to complete the job.



I know I've mentioned before that the Man-Child is a General Engineering Contractor with his own construction company, but I'm not sure if I've ever told you he is awesome with wood working too. He's one of the best trim contractors I have ever seen. 

He makes cutting angles and stuff look easy...



Once he has the vision in his head, it doesn't take him much time to build it. 
(=


So, while I was painting behind the bed, he was busy building me my dream...

He made me identical, built in mirrors on both sides of the entryway into the master bedroom...



It is just various sizes of wood and different depths of moldings stacked and framed to give the illusion of expensive, old, floor length mirrors...


Then, I used my bedroom trim color and painted both mirror surrounds white...


They're prettier than I ever dreamed~! 

(The picture girl should have vacuumed before she got all snap happy, huh?)

They're gorgeous and they match this old house...

They're PERFECT~!!!





The 'Before' and 'After' is astounding and I love how they spread the light around and brighten the entry to the room.




The bedroom redo is moving forward slowly, one step at a time~!



~~~

~ Pssst... Next project... ~ 
Window seats with molded, decorative window pieces to match the mirrors... 
The thrift store had a mess of donated motel pillows arrive the other day for $2 each and well, they are the perfect 'poofiness' for window seats. 

I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the window panels and well, there's one more project for the last two molded pieces that will be showcased soon...



I LOVE THE MIRRORS~!



Sharing at:
Before & After Wednesday

6 comments:

  1. You two are quite the team. I don't know how you looked at that ugly black thing and envisioned this! Then he built it! ( for some reason, my comment wouldn't take last night, so I tried a short remark first this morning) Anyway, I love your entryway now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw it all painted white....I said my goodness....out loud! That is one of the most beautiful transformations I've ever seen. Tell your hubby he is a genius! WOW!!! The mirrors are gorgeous my friend! They were MADE for your house! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beyond gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kind David gallery has a huge collection of mirror work that surely add beauty to your place and keep them safe. we use the fine glass material to make our product better, we work with architects and interior designers to create or serve you better and unique design/environment.

    http://www.kingdavidgallery.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...
I love to hear from you~!
=)