Monday, April 15, 2013

Memory Keepsake Book ~ Fabric Covered Binder...

One step closer~!

I got my new Granddaughters "Memory Keepsake Book" done. I made one for my other two Grandkids and this little gal is due, I think the 23rd of April (or, there abouts...)
By the end of the month, I'll have 3 Grandbabies~!

Her sister "Saige's" book is paisley, in teals and browns...

Their naming this new little gal "Swayzee Mae," so for some reason "Swayzee" led me to purple & lavender.

It's a little different than her sister Saige's, but turned out just as CUTE~!...

Now, I just need to finish the quilt & carseat cover and the layette from Gramma will be complete...



Want to see how to make one?
Just click on "Read More" and the instructions follow...

Have a Great Evening~!








~How to make a fabric covered binder~


Materials Needed: 
A hot glue gun and about 6, to 8 glue sticks (the large ones...)
Quilt Batting
Enough fabric to cover the outside and at least 1" on the inside of whatever size binder you decide to use
Enough 'opposing' fabric to create a 1" ruffle around the edge
(lace, or eyelet works good for edging too)
Enough fabric to cover the inside of the binder
Some thick cardboard (I used a pampers diaper box for cardboard!)

Lay your material with the print on the counter and the back side of the fabric facing up. Lay your quilt batting on top of the fabric and now  lay the binder on the quilt batting - open -  so the spine is facing up and the outside is laying flat on the quilt batting... Trim the fabric & batting in a square around the binder leaving one, to two inches extra, so you can wrap it around and glue it to the inside. *Peek at the other side and make sure the right side of the fabric will be showing on the outside of the binder before you start glueing* 

Now, glue the middle of one side... pull it tight on the other side and gluel it tight. Use ALOT of glue. Finish gluing it around the inside of the binder...

This is what it will look like glued on. I was starting to add the ruffle in this pic and caught myself. I thought "this would make a neat blog post," so I grabbed the camera one step late <sorry>...
Fold your corners like you would if you were upholstering something ~ just play with it and get it to tuck and glue it good.

It doesn't matter what the inside looks like, as long as the outside looks pretty. We're going to cover the inside in a later step...






When the outer fabric is all glued down, you can make a ruffle out of fabric, how ever big you want - there's no rules, I just "Wing It". Lace, or eyelet works really good for the ruffle on the edge too...
Glue it around the INSIDE of the binder.



Close the binder & make sure it looks even. If it doesn't and the glue is set - don't freak, just run the tip of your glue gun around it to melt the glue and lift it and reset it even...
;-)

This is what mine looks like from the outside at this stage...


Now, cut a couple of 2" strips (or wing it, like do...) of fabric to glue down the center by the spine.

Just fold over the edges and glue them down.

I tuck my inside edge under the spine and glue it down.

I have the right strip glued on in this pic...


Now, I have both inside strips blued down in this pic...



Now, cut out a couple of pieces of cardboard that we will cover with fabric and glue on the inside, to hide the ruffle and the exterior material edge...

You want to trim the inside of the cardboard, so it isn't "Under" the rings, but to the side of the rings, or the binder won't shut very good. See in the pic below how the cardboard isn't interfering with the rings? Just hold your cardboard to the inside and shut the binder. You'll see how far you have to move it out so it doesn't touch the spine. It doesn't have to be perfect ~ nobody will notice...


Now cover these cardboard pieces
with whichever material you would like.

DON'T GLUE THEM DOWN YET...

Just set them on the interior and see if it looks good ...
(We're going to make a folder before we glue)

I like it!~



Take a piece of material and fold it in half - I used opposing fabric. And, wrap it around your cardboard interior pieces to make a folder for the inside of the book, so little odds and ends (cards, letters, awards) can be saved inside the covers.. 



Glue the folders' fabric to the back of the interior cardboard pieces...
NOW glue the cardboard pieces to the inside of the book...

Use ALOT of glue, to keep those beauties down...

It's pretty like this and you can end it here, if you like it, but mine felt boring, so I glued a decorative strip aorund it...

I'm an "over achiever"~!

BORING...



MUCH BETTER...

See that wrinkle right there in the lower left?
No worries we take care of that with an iron at the end...

You can glue pieces of ribbon for ties, or make your own ties like I did out of fabric...


Take your glue gun tip and run it along between your ruffle (interior) and the cardboard inside, you glued on.
That will melt the glue again, so you can stick your ties in the gap and glue them down good on both sides...





Very Cute~!

***Here's a really neat last tip & trick~!***

Heat your iron and run it all over the outside and inside of the book.
 I press kind of hard when I do this.
What this does is soften the glue and take all the wrinkles,
ridges and lines of glue out.
It makes it all crisp and new looking.
Of course, I also spray it all down with homemade lavender linen spray,
to make it smell pretty too!


Lavender Linen Water Recipe

1 tsp. Lavender Oil (15 to 30 drops)
1/4 C. Vodka, or Isopropyl Alcohol (I use Vodka, it smells better)
3 1/2 C. Water
The alcohol is the emulsifier that makes the oil mix with the water.
Without it, you'll make a stain~!

This smells awesome ~ I use it on EVERYTHING~!!!

< I can see a "Vodka" theme going on here the last couple posts >
(=

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments...
I love to hear from you~!
=)