Monday, April 22, 2013

It don't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep...

Well, it wasn't really a goat & it wasn't in my sheep, but I turned the corner to go feed this morning & this thing awaited me...

What is it?
Well, I know it's a horse...
But, it's not like any horse I've seen around here...


It was a "Stare Down" for a few moments.
I was staring at it, it was staring at me...
I think, he had never seen anything with a bigger mane than him~!
(I had my hair down & big and it was everywhere... lol)


Then, it got real cheery all of a sudden and let me know, under no certain terms that it was a "Stud"...
Oy' Vey ~ nobody wants to see that this early in the morning.
His "junk" was bigger than he was... lol


Where is its home???

It ransacked my barrels of chicken feed. It tried to take a "drink" out of a oil change bucket...
And, it nearly ate 2 bales of hay before it got discovered...

Yesterday afternoon, I brought my other two boys home to reuite with Indy...

(Aren't they beautiful...!)
~The Palamino is "Saddler," the white one is "Little Ray" & the gray is "Indy"~

And consequently, they must have woken up to this "Thing" in their new yard...They probably had the same reaction I did, "A stare down" when he first arrived...

I walked to the tack shed and got the smallest halter I could find. He stood still while I put it on him, then he stepped back quickly & walla... slipped the halter, moved to another small stack of hay and he started munching again... hmmm... Stubborn little midget stallion...





I walked over and got a pair of scissors and "roached" through that thick mane of his and well, the second time he tried to 'slip the halter,' it didn't work ~

I somehow feel accomplished that I outsmarted the little horse... <wink>



I tied him up & headed out in search of his owner...
The "Man-Childs" cousin has a new sheep herd (1800 head!) up the road a couple miles and I heard a few days prior that he had brought in some "Peruvian" herders, so I went to inquire...

Yep, this little solid horse is a purebred, "Icelandic" stud horse & belongs to one of the peruvians.

I'm 5'2" and that herder was probably 8" shorter than me, so then it all made sense~!

Needless to say, his name is "Gus" & the peruvian herder was quite impressed with the roach-a-spot-in-the-mane idea because this little horse is apparently, a pro at slipping his halter at night.
Perhaps, 'hobbles' are an idea for future detianment... lol

See, there's always a surprise on this old farmstead~!

What stories do your boots have to tell?






1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of critters that wander into my yard, but never that size thank goodness. Your sweeties are real beauties. Thank you kindly for boot scootin’ on over to the Old Time Party!
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...
I love to hear from you~!
=)